Thursday 24 January 2013

For the love of moss stitch...





Now that the snow is melting, I finally cast off the scarf I have been making for the last few weeks. It's nothing fancy, just a beautiful, hand-painted yarn that required no amount of fancy stitches to show it off (I chose the Blue Bell colour way). I've always loved Julie's palest blue moss stitch scarf that has graced her neck over many a cup of coffee we've shared and so I have shameless replicated something similar.


I had no pattern (none was needed, it is that simple), I just cast on 22 stitches and used up two skeins of yarn. I didn't even wind the skeins, I just hooked them over the handle of my knitting basket and prayed that they wouldn't tangle up into something horrific while I wasn't looking (they didn't).




I can't quite make up my mind whether or not my photos are actually out of focus slightly or the soft fuzziness of the yarn is just doing its thing.




No matter, I intend to wrap myself up with later when I head out to the post office with another piece of knitted goodness that is another blog post in itself.

Stay warm!


8 comments:

  1. Oh that's beautiful. Why did I not peer at it more closely on Saturday? I had no clue there were so many colours hidden in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really is beautiful Tracy and you are right, when a yarn is so gorgeous you only need a simple stitch to let it work it's magic! I really love the little flecks in this colourway. Enjoy wearing it - you'll certainly need it today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished a moss stitch cowl using a bright orange gently variegated yarn from Posh. I thunk moss stitch is my go to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, it's beautiful. Moss stitch is a stitch I rarely use, but I do love it. And it's especially striking with your gorgeous yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right - with yarn that glorious, simple is the way to go. I adore the look of moss stitch, but it takes me aaaaages to stitch up. Must be very un-economical with my hand movements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the finished effect of moss stitch but I absolutely hate knitting it. I just can't get a flow going! That wool is absolutely lovely though. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...