Tuesday 18 December 2007

Coming together...

This is my first attempt at stained glass creating on British soil... First you need to cut the glass and grind the edges so you don't cut your fingers off!

Then you need to put copper foil tape all round the edges, using a burnishing tool - or a plastic thing from a Dino-Dig set, in my case! That's improvisation for you...

Then you spend a couple of hours soldering all the edges, adding rings for attaching ribbon and beads. Voila! Custom-made glass bunting for my conservatory for the festive season.




A few weeks ago I spotted some half-price amaryllis bulbs in Woolies. They just can't help themselves, they have to grow!




And before you know they're looking gorgeous just in time for The Big Day!

And look perfect with the bunting! 'Scuse the dirty windows...


So, I'm nearly ready. I put the tree up on Monday with some new decorations from Ikea. I was worried it looked a bit sombre, but in the evening it looks nice and twinkly...



Finally, this is my first attempt at needle-felting. I bought a little kit at the Knitting and Stitchery Show way back in October. I decided to cut the tree out as my triangles weren't very neat. I only made 5 and sent them to my nearest and dearest.

6 comments:

  1. The glass bunting looks amazing! My Amarylis isn't going to flower in time, but it does have a lot of buds showing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness - it sounds like a hive of activity - perhaps your blog should be renamed Busy Bee! Your conservatory looks fab with the bunting and the Amaryllis - very Christmassy.
    Thank you for your kind Christmas wishes - it has been nice meeting you this year - and I wish you happy times around your lovely Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the stained glass bunting--genial and beautiful! White and red amaryllis are so lovely this time of year. I don't have either this year though, our local garden center did not have the greatest speciems of plants. Your tree is wonderful. And so is you needle felting. That is a fun task isn't it? Wishing you & yours a holiday season merry and bright, and peace & many blessings in the New Year! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello-hope you enjoyed your trip, and thankyou for your aniversary wishes. The bunting is FANTASTIC! I really want to do a stained glass course next year, it is on my 'to do' list...along with so much else! Sending you warm wishes for a happy christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bunting is stunning! I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stained glass bunting.

    Racheal x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...