In my now customary way, I couldn't resist making some cushions out of the scrap from Harry and Max's quilts.
Ages ago, I saw this great tutorial by Aneela at Comfort Stitching and knew that I would like to give it a go. It sat around in my head for a while and then the idea was born to make these cushions. I have never 'lowered the dogs' on my machine before and taking off the foot took a bit of nerve. I practised on some scrap for
a while ages until I found the confidence to put needle to fabric.
I'm really liking the scrappy, sketchy look to this. A real departure from my usual standards of neatness. There will be more projects like this in the future.
I had a ball with the bondaweb! I found a fun font, which I enlarged then transferred to fabric. At first, I tried machine embroidering it on to the scrappy panel, but it didn't really stand out enough so I decided to put into practice a new stitch I learnt at my embroidery workshop last Saturday. (You can read about our day here and here!) This is palestrino stitch - my new favourite! A natty little knotty number!
After embroidering on the initial, I lighty quilted the panel with some scrap batting and a bit of muslin, just to give it a bit of extra body. The back of the cushions are made with the offcuts of the backings of the quilts, to which I added a little fun label to make the boys smile when they turn their cushions over. I'm still loving Harry's little snail:
And Max has got a frog that featured on one of his fabrics!
The backs are simple envelope style, therefore eliminating the drama of zips and I used left-over binding to join front and back together.
With hindsight, the letter would have stood out more had it been done in a plain fabric, but that would have meant buying something when the idea is to be a scrap-busting project!
The cushion pads are from John Lewis and measure 30 x 40 cm.
I'm brimming with ideas for cushions now...