Friday 11 June 2010

Curve ball...




Just when you think things are ticking along.  You're minding your own business, keeping out of trouble... A curve ball comes along and tilts everything in its path.




My curve ball came in the form of a frantic phone call last Friday from my Mum, saying she'd called an ambulance for my Dad.  I ran.  I drove.  I watched my Dad have a heart attack and was blue-lighted into hospital with him.  He has been waiting for bypass surgery for the last 5 months and it seemed just for a minute that it was too late.  He is still waiting (not very patiently, either, I might add) and after being transferred to another hospital, the last week has been frustratingly slow.  Because of the drugs he was given in the acute stages, it has been too risky to perform the surgery.  Fingers crossed, it will be early next week.




The hospital is in Bethnal Green over in East London and after getting to grips with how to actually get there, my days have been spent either keeping my Mum company or sitting by the phone waiting to hear any news.  Frustrating, to say the least.




On a lighter note, every time I step outside my back door, I get the most amazing scent of these old-fashioned pinks.  I wish you could poke your nose in to the photos and get a whiff!  They remind me of my great-Nan, she had loads in her back garden.  It's funny how smells are so evocative...

16 comments:

  1. Ah, what a hard week. I'm glad your father is hanging in there, and that your Mum & you have each other for a bit of support and chat. Hoping that next week brings some progress.

    Keep smelling those flowers - very good for the spirit!

    N. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a shock... wishing your father a speedy recovery and sending you a virtual hug
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your dad gets well and is back home soon. Its a worrying time for you all. I agree with The List Writer- smell the flowers, they will relax you.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stomach lurched when I read this.

    I can only echo the others and wish your father a good recovery and comfort to you and your mum..

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I hate about middle age is the lurking feeling of curve balls around every corner. I had a long phone call from my mother this week to tell me that my father has been diagnosed with dementia and that at best he has "three good years" left. And yet what guarantee of time do any of us have, really? Having said that, I hope you will accept my sincerest wishes that your father recovers. The heart can be mightily resilient.

    I have pinks in my border, too. Flowers are infinitely cheering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I hope he gets better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to let tou know that your dad is in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stressful. Your Dad (and the rest of you) are in my thoughts.

    The waiting is always the very hardest bit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for what you have been through lately and hope that your Dad makes a good recovery. I love pinks. They smell like cloves don't they? x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed they get everything sorted and scheduled quickly now. K x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry - it must be such a difficult time for you all. I can imagine what a huge relief it must have been for your mother when you arrived in time to go in the ambulance and I know that you would have been a calm and confident presence in such a stressful situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *hugs*
    Love to you and yours hun.
    Thinking of you
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you and your family (especially your dad) good thoughts for a speedy and positive outcome to all this - my dad and my father-in-law both had a triple heart bypass almost 15 years ago and are both going strong at 80 and 76 respectively - I pray that your situation will have an equally good conclusion (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes from all the cats here.

    We're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tracy I'm so sorry to read about your Dad. It must have been such an awful shock but good that you were able to drop everything and rush to be with him and your Mum - I'm sure she found it hugely comforting to have you there. Here's wishing him all the very best for a strong and steady recovery and love and best wishes to you x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...