Monday 26 September 2011

The Great Outdoors...


The tent has had its first outing and I couldn't have hoped for a better weekend considering it is late September.  First stop, Roundhill camp site in the New Forest.




The local animals were completely comfortable with sharing their space with us and Pippin was quite fascinated.




Seeing the ponies roll about joyfully, you just couldn't help but smile.  Seeing them galloping in line, wild and free, made me cry.  I'm daft like that.




For supper, it was a red pepper and chorizo stew with home-baked bread and some regional cheese.  Hearty and warm and very do-able in one pot on the stove.




Waking up to the perfect sunrise, the grass heavy with dew and a quiet that I am quite unused to in London.




Driving just a few miles and finding rivers that remind me of my childhood.  I am too used to seeing just the Thames.




Watching these cygnets gliding up the river after deciding it may be a better option while there is a chocolate brown snout nosing about around their nest.





Coming back and lighting the bucket bbq for a bit of extra warmth and to make hot dogs for supper.




Which were eaten by the light of the lanterns.  Then, tumbler of wine in hand, sitting back to be stunned by the stars.  The sky was full and the constellations were so much more visible than I am used to at home.


I have a wanderlust.  I am making plans to escape London.  I want it all now but know that I am going to need to exercise more patience.  I will get outdoors more in the meantime...

13 comments:

  1. What a fab weekend, with some wonderful pictures to remember it by. I know that wanderlust too - I'd love to be able to see the stars every night without the orangey glow of sodium street lights drowning them out. An escape from London sounds a very exciting thing, keep us posted x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful break - the tumbler of wine under the stars must have been blissful! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful weekend you had enjoying the country and beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really does look blissful! And while you make plans for your escape, tent adventures are sure to keep you sane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have cried,too. Hope to hear more of your escape plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a perfect weekend!

    I took the boys on a long walk and although I had to drag them out of the house they then had a wonderful time and didn't want to come home!! Typical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! That stew looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Escape from London? Permanently?

    Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weeping over rolling horses? You're as soppy as I am. And I mean that in a good way.

    Very excited to hear your plans for a Great Escape ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - what a beautiful sunrise.

    Happy camping,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a wonderful weekend - it makes me want to haul the tent out and go travelling!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a brilliant weekend :) As a blog I enjoy reading, I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award
    Shell

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...