I’ve got a free day today – the only one of this week. I have been weak and so I got out my stash of Katie Jump Rope to have a play with for the thing that was supposed to wait in line.
I thought it was high time that this line of fabrics came out of the box and took centre stage in my workroom. I’ve had a rough idea of how I wanted to use the fabrics and before I got my hands on the chair, I had the opportunity to have a play at upholstering a box cushion for a friend with the leftover scraps from the quilt I made her for Christmas.
The end result was just as I’d hoped and so I started out by cutting 2 1/2” strips and a 4 1/2” square for the middle.
Then, starting with the square piece, I started going round it in a log cabin style…
…until it was the size I needed for the top of the seat cushion. As this is only quilting weight cotton, I have decided to quilt it in pieces to hopefully give it a bit of strength and durability before I make up the actual cushions themselves. I made a quilt sandwich with some batting off cuts and some muslin from my stash. At first I quilted around each block but soon decided that I wanted something that looked more significant… so out came the seam-ripper!
Now I am quilting it either side of the seam of the first square and then throughout the rest of the block. I’m hoping this will give it a nice graphic feel. I won’t be holding my breath over this project but it is something that I can pick up at any time and have a little go at when time permits. I’m already loving the feeling that I will be doing this project purely from materials that I already have, so the cost is virtually zero other than the reels of thread I am bound to get through.
The rest of the week will prove to be quite heavy: I am visiting one of my bereaved parents tomorrow; I have supervision for my support work on Wednesday; I will be at St Mary’s on Thursday and on Friday I have a writing deadline to meet. Today’s distraction has been most welcome.