Wednesday 17 November 2010

Squeal...

I wanted to step outside the room for a moment and do this:



I have some exciting news about the book I am working on.

I met with a commissioning editor from Oxford University Press yesterday, along with my co-writer, and we had the most amazing response.  Having emailed some of what we have already written, she wants us to go ahead with a proposal for her to have peer reviewed.  Some of the communication we have had from OUP suggested that perhaps it was not the type of book that they could market as they deal primarily with professionals and academics.  I felt that I had to convince her that it was not intended to be a memoir in any shape or form and that I would like my contribution to be a credible account that professionals would not hesitate to recommend.

I think she understood!  We talked of production time lines, the price of paper (very expensive!), worldwide publishing (another squeal!), the fact that OUP have a very good coffee and cake shop.  All the important stuff covered then!

So, today I have felt most odd.  I have struggled to focus on any one thing and feel weirdly adrift.  A friend of mine advised me to enjoy the moment (which I did) and I really do feel as though I am starting a new adventure.

I'm in such a tizz, I can't think straight enough to post a suitable photo... so I won't this time.  I can barely string two words together...

15 comments:

  1. Words alone are not enough to describe how truly happy I am for you and so proud.

    And just plain bloody excited !!

    Got your email too btw and will check to see if I have those photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, OUP is a lovely place - I had a friend who worked there and it was fab!


    PS Love that clip. It's nearly time to dig out my old DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm squealing for you as your post is so full of excitement.
    Well done, it must be so hard and like a roller-coaster of emotions but it will help so many other people, so is so worthwhile.
    Keep squealing and enjoy the moment.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so great and something that is most needed and will be so helpful to so many people. it is both exciting and i am sure very emotional for you too, but definately somthing to run with and enjoy. congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big big congratulations! This is so exciting! And I think that's the perfect photo/clip.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeal sums it up perfectly. great news xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, wonderful news - I am so thrilled that your experience and compassionate writing will help others as they face the challenges of bereavement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic news! I agree with your friend, just enjoy the moment! Take some time to sit back today and relax, get used to the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fantastic that they are taking you and your project seriously - that must be such a confidence boost. Brilliant! I am sure there will be many more squealy moments like this to come too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, wonderful. I am silently squealing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting news indeed! So very pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So thrilled for you. I hope you stepped outside the room to squeal during your meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. How truly wonderful for you. I hope you are still enjoying the feeling. What an inspiring undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever so Happy for YOU !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good things come to those who wait. It seems you have waited a long time and are most deserving of this good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...