Wednesday 19 January 2011

Paperwhites…

In one week they have enjoyed the warmth of the kitchen and grown up, up, up and flowered.

 

Paperwhites b&w

Paperwhites close-up b&w

 

I’ve been playing with my camera and I like them in black and white.  I love that you can see that frostiness that appears on their petals.

I also think they look much better when I’m using my flash. 

 

Paperwhites close-up

My kitchen always makes everything look yellow when I don’t use it.

 

Paperwhites without flash

Their scent is sometimes quite overpowering.  If you catch a bit of it in passing, it is delicate and fresh, but when you are sat at the table it becomes almost sickly.  Today I also brought my hyacinths out of the fridge, where I have been forcing them for the last eight weeks.  So much for a continual display… they all to compete with each other at the same time!

4 comments:

  1. can you change the white balance in your camera? you can totally counter act the yellow of artificial house light... when I discovered it ... it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue with my kitchen, you need to play around with your camera and different light settings - yes, the while balance as Monica rightly points out, that's the technical word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your paperwhites are gorgeous - love the way you've captured that sparkle on the petals. Ours are still just nudging from the soil - not surprising as I was very late planting them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. They look like they've been sprinkled with glitter.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...