I posted here about my plans to give my two nephews a quilt each for their christening presents and I had reached a bit of standstill for one reason or another. While I was on a roll yesterday in fabric love mode, I managed to cut out the rest of the pieces for the one I had made a start on. That was some serious cutting out - just under 600 pieces!
I find it incredibly satisfying to see an organised pile of fabric on my worktable ready for sewing.
I am using this tutorial for July Star Blocks over at Cluck Cluck Sew, although I have made the blocks slightly bigger to achieve the size quilt I was looking for.
It has been a real challenge trying to think of what type of quilt would appeal to a 14 year old boy and I really hope it isn't too childish. This is just a mock-up using the collage creator to give me a feel of what it will look like. 12/35 blocks completed.
For the my younger nephew I have chosen to make something with a bit of a watery feel as he is our star diver and likes to be in the water. I pulled lots of blues and soft greys and some splashes of green from my stash and am using the Wonky Roman Stripe Block from this book. I love the mixture of solids and prints.
This is my first mock-up block to get a feel for how it might turn out.
I really am hoping that this week's persistent rain will give way to a dryer and even warmer bank holiday weekend. Right, I'm off to make pizza for dinner and change the pace and relax in to some hand-quilting on this quilt. Poor neglected thing.